Mic-Key® - Home use and maintenance
Recommended daily maintenance:
- Wash skin around stoma daily as part of morning or evening hygiene. The skin around the stoma must be kept dry and clean.
- Flush the connecting tubes with 10-20 ml of water before and after each feeding.
Recommended weekly maintenance:
- Check that the balloon has the correct water level once weekly.
- Put in new connecting tube once weekly (or more often, depending on use).
Recommended bi-monthly maintenance:
- Consider and treat Mic-Key® as an eating implement
- Replace therefore Mic-Key® every second month, as it may become discoloured and the non-return valve may become weakened.
Note: If pain or discomfort is experienced during feeding, stop feeding and contact nurse or doctor.
- Adjust the correct stoma length using Mic-Key® measuring staff. Always keep a measuring staff available.
- Create regular routines when maintaining Mic-Key®, for instance:
- Check balloon for correct water level every Monday.
- Employ and keep in mind proper food hygiene standards in all maintenance of and feeding through Mic-Key®. No sterile procedures are necessary